Best way to store dried herbs

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sabinagirl
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Best way to store dried herbs

Postby sabinagirl » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi

I have ordered 1lb of dried stinging nettle leaf. What is the best way to store the unused herb to ensure efficacy ? I was thinking of storing them in glass jars (mason jars)

Thanks

ItalianBee

Re: Best way to store dried herbs

Postby ItalianBee » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:58 pm

Glass jars are good. I keep mine in a dark place as well, and cool is better than warm in my experience.

sabinagirl

Postby sabinagirl » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks.

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:05 am

Either mason jars or in the nice heavy duty bag that it was shipped in. I have a kitchen cabinet set aside for my herbs and stuff. It's on the opposite wall as the stove so I don't have to worry about residual heat.

sabinagirl

Postby sabinagirl » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:12 am

I did not have big enough mason jars but had some 1 gallon plastic jars , so I am using the plastic jars. Hopefully that's ok
THanks

Kezzie

Postby Kezzie » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm

I agree - Mason jars, or other large glass jars with a tightly fitting lid, (I recycle glass bottles and jars like a maniac. So many beautiful shapes!) Or a paper bag, in a dark cabinet.
Don't jar them up unless you are sure that they have not soaked up a lot of humidity. Herbs must be very completely dry, or they will mould in a sealed jar. That is why I mostly use paper bags.
Plastic can leach smells, colours, stuff from the plastic....I stay away form plastic in general. But that is just me.
Hope this helps!

sabinagirl

Postby sabinagirl » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:12 pm

HI Kezzie
How do u seal the paper bags ?

NateFlory

Postby NateFlory » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:48 am

Generally, when I've used paper bags to dry and store some herbs, I just fold/roll down the top tightly. (did you ever buy bulk coffee beans? you know how those bags fold down and have bits of stiffer wires to fold over and keep shut? Kinda like that. :)

Since you are storing, not drying it yourself, the important thing is to keep moisture and light out. Big ol' paper bag from the grocery store, folded tightly will work in a pinch. Best option is probably somethig more sturdy, unless you go through it quickly?
(For my nettle, I have a big 'crock' with a lid, like many kitchens store flour/sugar in, and my oatstraw is in an old Cookie tin!) 8-)

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:56 am

Cool!

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”