Drying Burdock Root

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Singingcrowsings
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Drying Burdock Root

Postby Singingcrowsings » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:42 pm

Hello, :D

I had about 5 or so burdock roots and have thinly shredded them using a peeler. They are currently laying out on a plate, drying, and I shake them up and try to expose them evenly to the air every once in a while throughout the day, and will do so until they are completely dry.

I have read about people preparing burdock for gobo tea, and they dry then sautée it in oil or roast it. Is this necessary, or is drying it sufficient? I'll be using it for infusions and maybe throwing into soups here and there. Do you have any other suggestions in regards to this process?

ItalianBee

Re: Drying Burdock Root

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:26 pm

I have never done anything to burdock roots before using them - I just hang them up to dry. But I'm fairly new to their use, so maybe somebody else knows more.

NateFlory

Postby NateFlory » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:11 am

Same here, I just usually cut it into slices (like you see Carrots in stew) and dry them this way, to plop into soups and stews. I imagine shredding/peeling them into "flakes" or strips would be REALLY fast to dry and just as convenient. Not sure about roasting or such myself. Good luck and let us know what you discover! :)

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:01 pm

The stripping seems to be the traditional Japanese way to dry it. Then it's either bake it at a low heat (dehydrating heat i.e. 140˚F) or pan fry it dry for 10 minutes. This process seems to get that last bit of moisture out, as a preventative from mould, and also kills any bugs that might still be living on the root.

I've read that burdock dehydrates to 1/3rd of it's size, and it's amazing watching this plate full, as high as the pile of spaghetti in Lady and the Tramp, shrink down to the equivalent of a thin crust bambino pizza!

I used a small bit with a dried shitake mushroom as a soup base for miso soup, ad it was very good. I'm looking forward to using it for infusions or in stir fries too. I'm also discovering the use or raw burdock as I learn about it.

Burdock root is new to me too, so I feel I've got a whole new adventure ahead of me!

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:06 pm

I'm actually feeling really sad that my landlord and the next-door one got rid of all the burdock in my vicinity, so I have no source this year - and where I live I can't find "gobo" in the grocery store either. :( I miss my burdock!

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:19 am

Maybe you need to venture out a little further into the bush there, ItalianBee. Or you can try growing your own!

I am currently discussing the easiest way to grow burdock on a balcony with a friend. She had mentioned people putting plates around the roots to make them easier to harvest, and that made me think of those potato bags you can buy that, once the roots are ready to harvest, you can just pull away.

I also live in a province where pesticides are not legal, so if need be, I can go harvest some not too far from my home. Since I'm new to harvesting edible wild plants, as of last year, I am planning a few full days of harvesting in spring, summer and fall. I'm very excited about it!

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:21 am

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:19 pm

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”