Ugh. Yeast Infection?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

snow moon
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ugh. Yeast Infection?

Postby snow moon » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:24 pm

There doesn't seem to be a thread on this yet ... Has anyone had success with natural remedies?

I'm trying a few things I found online, including internal garlic, but the second day is worse than the first. Alternately if anyone uses the over-the-counter suppositories could you recommend a brand? Are they that much different than trying to kill the fungus naturally?? ... Of course I will continue probiotics etc. but I want to be able to sleep through the night!

RoseRed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ugh. Yeast Infection?

Postby RoseRed » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:31 am

Before the site crashed - we had a bunch.

You could try inserting plain live culture yogurt to rebalance the system.

It's much easier to keep up on maintenance than to get the main infection under control.

I almost always suggest getting up in there and cleaning the infection out manually. It allows whatever we try to work better.

Keep the digestive tract flowing well. If it backs up - the yeast is likely to act up.

If the milder things don't work - boric acid capsules work wonders. They don't treat the infection. What they do is return the vaginal canal to the proper pH. Yeast and/or BV only thrive when the pH levels are off.

Stay away from sugars - especially, if you're craving them. That's the yeast screaming to be fed.

snow moon

Postby snow moon » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:44 pm

How do you "clean it out manually"?

I tried yogurt yesterday; topically it was somewhat soothing but for some reason internally it was a bit painful. The garlic ultimately made me rather nauseous ... How is it the taste gets in the mouth? I am now taking Monistat and a generic anti-itch cream but they have not provided relief yet.

I read a probiotic capsule could be inserted internally provided the capsule dissolves but don't all capsules dissolve? ... (My Florajen acidophilus has "rice maltodextrin and gelatin capsules.") I literally have never stuck so many things up my vagina. Gosh, this is embarrassing but I guess this thread had to be started at some point. I am really missing the encyclopedic knowledge of the prior site.

Any advice on soothing the hot itching it would be appreciated! The only thing that really works are cold packs but I'm trying to pace my use of them. A baking soda bath felt alright but the minute after I was out the burning was back.

I am drinking diluted pure pressed cranberry juice to help the PH; no sugars added and I hope the natural sugars aren't an issue. The taste is unique and helps distract me from the other sensations.

Sorry this is a bit disjointed; goddess please just make it stop ...

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:10 am

I know it's embarassing. We live in a world where most of the meat is treated with anti-biotics. It's not surprising that it affects us.

Find a nice, comfortably sized spoon for cleaning it out. Yes, it's gross BUT it works wonders, provides immediate relief and can speed up getting rid of the infection by a week. I would keep it with your personal hygiene items instead of back in the silverware drawer. I went through years of suffering with this (turned out I was allergic to my ex husband. Every time we had sex I had an infection from hell.) I totally understand being dis-jointed. You're very uncomfortable.

It burns like hell because the tissue is so irritated. You can use the Monistat cream as the anti-itch cream for the outside. It does help.

Boric acid capsules are a prescription in the US. You can make your own. You can get boric acid at most pharmacies, same as the gelatin capsules, or you can just use it with the applicator (you can wash and reuse the applicators that come with the over the counter stuff). That may burn, too depending on how bad the tissue is irritated.

Are you taking anything for the discomfort? (ibuprofen is also an anti-inflammatory). Yeah, I know it's not herbal but you're at the point where treating it is the primary concern and then maintaining it after.

Do you have a health food store near you? I'd get the refrigerated probiotic capsules and caprylic acid (I think that's how you spell it). They work really well together. You can take and insert the probiotics. Do not insert the Capryl.

Cut out the fruit juice. Even unsweetened cranberry has too much natural sugar. The same thing with simple starches that convert to sugars. I wouldn't be surprised if you were craving things like crackers, potatoes or cookies. It works better for urinary tract infections than changing the ph quickly enough or maintaining it.

CoffeeCup

Postby CoffeeCup » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:48 pm

Aww so sorry, snow moon! It IS rather uncomfortable to say the least. I hope you get better REAL SOON.

I just wanted to drop by to second RoseRed's boric acid suggestion. I swear by boric acid for these kinds of things (especially BV). It is magical. I used it to treat a case of non-candida vaginal yeast infection years ago and it worked wonders. That was prescribed by my doc, and I've since used boric acid for infections with 100% success. I don't get them often, but when I do, it's boric acid all the way baby! :)

I make up my own caps. Like RoseRed said, you buy some empty gelatin capsules and the BA powder from any pharmacy, make up a capsule and insert it as far up as you can. I just push it up with a clean finger! Otherwise you can put it in an applicator and insert that way. Wear some pantyliners because it WILL be messy the following day if you do this overnight but sooooooooooo good. hahaha. I honestly cannot say enough good things about BA. It's worth a shot. As for tissue irritation, yes, it may burn a little but hang in there. In my experience, things cleared up within a few days or so.

The spoon idea sounds interesting!!

Big hug and get better xx

snow moon

Postby snow moon » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:39 am

Thank you both so much for your help. It took five to six days, then all at once got much better. If it's helpful to any future readers this is what worked for me:

For itching: Lukewarm baking soda bath, dry off completely, apply coconut oil, apply cool packs. Repeat throughout the day. Anything stronger just irritated the skin more.

I did finish the Monistat (seven day regimen) and took Ibuprofen for pain. I got the caprylic acid, took several times a day. Cut out all sugars, including juice and honey. Took good quality probiotics orally and internally.

I'd read somewhere online to apply honey externally ... It didn't really make any difference, so I would avoid the mess. Also I had read to apply apple cider vinegar externally ... NO. I was feeling desperate, but it was the worst thing for irritated skin.

... I am curious why people make their boric acid capsules if it can cause burning? ... Anyhow, so grateful for the feedback ... Thank you again.

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:32 am

Many, many years ago a friend told me something a very old woman told her to do.

What she said was, to put a half a box of seasalt in a bath of very hot water, as hot as you can handle and only just over your pelvis. The next step is to sit in it and begin your kegal exercises, slurping that salt water up and hold then release, and do it over and over again for about 10-15 minutes. It's a form of douching, I suppose. Anyway, you do it for 10 days, every night, if your infection is in full force, and as Rosered mentioned, cut out the sweet stuff, if you can for 6 months to a year ideally.

I used to get severe yeast infections, but since she told me this, I do this as soon as I feel any yeast-infection type symptoms. I have a bath, generally, too once a week, and include a full handful of seasalt each time. Too, I've completely cleaned up my diet over the years. I have not had a yeast infection now for 18 years or more.

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:50 am

Because a vaginal infection that bounces back and forth between yeast and BV burns more than the boric acid. It doesn't fight against either but brings the ph in the vaginal canal back to normal where neither the yeast or the BV can grow.

It had gotten to the point with my exhusband that I HAD to insert boric acid or I'd end up with a raging yeast infection. He hated it but I hated the infection more. Oh well for him. The way the doc explained it to me is that the ph of his seminal fluid was way off of mine and that's what kept setting off the infections. I finally found the cure fire cure for it and just stopped having sex with him. No more infections! Whooho! My divorce was final in January - whoohoo again!

My fiance (yes, i got engaged for Christmas!) and I have no problems with this at all. For the longest time (years) I thought the problem was with me.

I don't know if you're monogomous or if you have multiple partners but it could be a good idea to keep track of when you have sex and when the infection returns. If you can chart it (including sugars, simple carbs, constipation and sex) then you can see what causes it and then attempt to prevent it.

bluebirdmama

Postby bluebirdmama » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:14 pm

I went for2years with a stubborn yeast infection. I tried everything with no sucess. Then I learned about the connection with yeast and heavy metals. A bunch of tumeric capsules and i'm totally better.

snow moon

Postby snow moon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:19 pm

Congratulations on your divorce, Rose Red!

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”