Red Sauerkraut

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Singingcrowsings
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Red Sauerkraut

Postby Singingcrowsings » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi there,

Since there's no food section anymore, I was advised to use this section....

I'm wondering, last year I made sauerkraut from green cabbage, and found the right balance to get a consistency I enjoyed. This year, I thought I'd use the red variety, for some variety, and slightly different nutrients, but it's ultra dry i.e juiceless. I grated a quarter of the cabbage and thinly sliced the rest. Basically, I did everything that made a great green cabbage sauerkraut. Is there something I should be doing differently?

NateFlory

Re: Red Sauerkraut

Postby NateFlory » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:44 am

I have the grand total of "two batches" experience with making my own sourkrout, but will also note that the second one I made was half green / half red cabbage. That one also got noticably less juicy, so I added a couple cups of water to the 5-gallon bucket I fermented it in. Not sure how "best practice" it was, but the resulting krout wasn't half bad, so I plan on doing it again. I like the colour of the red cabbage better, but not sure about the nutrients and such.
I think my favorite is a regular green cabbage krout, with a small bit of rwed mixed in for contrast. That seems to work best.

But I'm sure other Wise Women can chime in with more experience here... :)
Either way, Horray for Experimentation! That's how we learn best, sometimes.

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:29 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience!

It's already been more than a month, so I wonder if there's a max wait time to add water?

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:50 pm

My experience with sauerkraut...and other ferments...is that its okay to add a bit of salted water to the vegetables. I have a Beet (shredded) ferment going and I've had to add salted water a couple times because the veggies keep absorbing the liquid.

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:09 pm

Really?! That's great!

I've just been putting it in soups and maki (sushi rolls), but it would be nice to be able to simply eat it on its own and enjoy it.

Thanks Lady A!

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:38 am

Well, last night I had the sudden urge to make another batch of sauerkraut, only this time it was green. The jar I used was smaller than I had thought it was (a 1 kg honey jar as opposed to a 1 Ltr jar), and so I could only fit in a third of what I made in there. The rest, I poured into my red sauerkraut jar, since I had eaten a third of that, and so the immense amount of juice from the green salted cabbage is now filling the red.

We'll see!

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:12 pm

Oh no! I think I've destroyed the entire batch with what I did. I've got a clear goo in my sauerkraut now. Is it totally contaminated??? :o

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”