Where to find help for herb question?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jazzwolf
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Where to find help for herb question?

Postby jazzwolf » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:48 am

About a month ago I posted a question in regards to the correct ratio for a fresh Andrographis tincture( see question below). Does anyone know what the ratio might be and if not do you know a forum/website that would be a good place to ask?

Question:
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to make a tincture with fresh Andrographis and organic grape alcohol. Does anyone have suggestions for the plant/menstrum ratio? Also what percentage of alcohol should I use? I can't find anything online for fresh Andrographis. I checked Michael Moore's materica medica and I didn't see Andrographis.

NateFlory

Re: Where to find help for herb question?

Postby NateFlory » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:02 am

I have no experience with that particular herb, but for me, I tend to use a fairly "generic Tincture" recipe.
- Get bottle of 100-proof vodka. (or other alcohol).
Note that most alkaloids are soluble in alcohol and some things are more water soluble. I use 50% to extract both types of 'stuff'. I do know stronger alcohol will more readily extract some alkaloids easier. I compromise with this strength for "general use" for cost and convenience of getting the materials.
- Get quart (or pint) mason jar, depending on how much herb I have or how much tincture I want to make
- Fill jar with herb as much as I can, packing loosely.
- Pour in Vodka to the brim, & loosely put lid on.
- Wait a week, refill vodka if it is being soaked up by plant material (or the fae sip some overnight!)
- Wait another month.
- Strain, and use.

For different strength tinctures, I modify the dosage based on what it is I'm taking. Something like elderberry, I can just drink a shot-glass of it if I want for colds. soemthing like Poke-weed, I would only ever use a drop or so. Same "recipe" different tincture dosage. Experience is part of my "guide" as well on my home-made tinctures. I'll start with a small "dose" based on what my research indicates for "correct" and if it doesnt' seem to help, I'll add a few more drops until it seems effective. Of course this method isn't the best for telling others "Here's teh exact details of XYZ usage" since sometimes a batch of tincture is weak/stronger than average. Each year the plants can be a bit different. Your milage, will vary. Nature doesnt' always grow inside the box. :D

Stocki

Re: Where to find help for herb question?

Postby Stocki » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:57 pm

Ca you please tell me which herbs to take for an overactive immune system ?

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”