Hot Infusions-Cold Infusions

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hot Infusions-Cold Infusions

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:33 pm

While studying I came across an interesting list of herbs/roots that suggests which herbs require boiling water and which need cold (better protects volatile oils) for extraction of the herbal goodness. This book is James Green's "The Herbal Medicine-Makers Handbook" page 110.

Hot Infusion: cayenne, chamomile, cleavers, comfrey leaf, dandelion leaf, Elder (flower and berry), fennel, ginger, ginkgo, hawthorn, mugwort, mullein, nettle, oat, peppermint, plantain, st. john's wort, saw palmetto, scullcap, valerian, yarrow.

Cold Infusion: burdock root, chamomile, cleavers, comfrey root, crampbark, marshmallow root, mugwort, nettle, peppermint, uva ursi, slippery elm.

Any thoughts?
I'm surprised by a couple of the entries...Elderberry for one, I thought that the berries performed better when infused cold...I'll work on this thought...hmmm Kiva Rose maybe wrote something about no heat to Elderberries...or Matthew Wood???? And mugwort has pretty valuable volatile oils...hmmm???? Got some thinking to do

ItalianBee

Re: Hot Infusions-Cold Infusions

Postby ItalianBee » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:07 pm

I haven't made cold infusions and I have James Green's book! So I am surprised. I have generally prepared burdock and nettle with vinegar in any case (part of my daily tonic).

So this tells me I need to go back and have another tug at that book. Thanks!

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:57 pm

ItalianBee, I've noticed that Juliette de Bairacli Levy mentions Cold infusions for certain herbs in her Materia Medica 'COMMON HERBS for NATURAL HEALTH'. Many herbalist/writers will just say infusion or tea/tisane but seldom mention Hot or Cold method of extraction.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Well, silly me. I have the Bairacli Levy book too, but it's been too long since I've been looking at my books for new ideas - I've just been doing what I'm used to. So, time to go back and learn some new techniques.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Constant learning keeps our mental cognition tip top!

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”