Black Walnut Hull for teeth

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches...share harvesting tips, remedies, and personal experiences. Green Blessings to all!!! Drink Nourishing Herbal Infusion http://www.susunweed.com/How_to_make_Infusions.htm

Moderators: Allie, Lady Alinor, Tamara, Phoebetales, Joanne, Community Herbalist

Black Walnut Hull for teeth

Postby username » Tue May 29, 2012 12:12 pm

Hello!

I have read many times now that Black Walnut Hull will help with tooth problems, even with rebuilding tooth enamel:

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/tooth_enamel.html

http://forum.beeyoutiful.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1034

I'm about to use it for my teeth, but sill have concerns, because I have also read that it will stain (for example the skin, different materials, etc.). On the other hand it's said to help whiten teeth. - Contradictory, but might be true, since plants are mysterious.

Now, do you have any advice, info, tipps regarding my concern that Black Walnut hull might stain my teeth. Maybe I should just not keep it in my mouth for too long. Just swish 1-2 minutes (and not like 15 minutes) and then swallow.

Thanks for any advice!
username

Re: Black Walnut Hull for teeth

Postby sapphire kate » Thu May 31, 2012 2:20 am

Black Walnut is a strong herb. I would exercise care, and pay close attention to what you are doing and how your body responds.

I would also try other remineralising options (probably first), ones based on nourishment. If I did use BW, I'd make sure my body was well supported by nourishing food and herbs as well.
It's all good (except for the crappy bits).
sapphire kate

Postby MarianWolls » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:01 am

Do you think it all depends on the condition of your teeth first before chewing a walnut?
Marian Walls
Natural Researcher
MarianWolls

Postby username » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:23 am

@sapphirekate:
Thanks for your warning. I will be careful while using black walnut hull tincture.

@MArian Wolls
I don't really understand your question

Any other clues about possible problems with teeth staining?

Thanks!
username

Postby sapphire kate » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:40 am

Are you making your own tincture or buying? Ask the manufacturer, including what part they made it from?
sapphire kate

Postby username » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:29 pm

sapphire kate,

I want to make my own tincture.
What parts should I use? - Just the green hulls?
Any other tips for making this particular tincture?

Thanks for your support!
username

Postby crystal woman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:25 pm

You tincture only the green hull that is covering the nut. Some recipes call for separating the hull from the nut, other recipes just leave the whole nuts intact without removing the hulls. If I was going to make the tincture I wouldn't bother removing the hulls since I would want to handle the hulls as little as possible. If you don't have a recipe this one is a basic recipe where you tincture the hull while it is still on the nut. http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/bwht.html

Black walnut hull is strong stuff so I hope you have done some reading about what black walnut hull tincture is traditionally used for.

crystal woman

Postby username » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:00 am

crystal woman,

thank you for your helpful instructions and the good link.

I've been searching this forum and the internet for more info regarding the uses, side effects, dosages, etc. regarding black walnut hull tincture and have not really been able to find satisfying results.

But what I have understood, especially from your and sapphire kate's post is that this is not a tincture to joke around with. May I give you a few points, that I will take into consideration while using the tincture and ask you and saphire kate what you think about them:

- My reason for using black walnut tincture is for dental health. I have slight tooth decay with 2 small cavities (all developed quite recently ). As I have stated before, there are numerous reports about how black walnut tincture can help with tooth decay and even regrow tooth enamel

- Since the goal is to not only have the tincture work internally, but also externally, directly on the teeth, I will swish it around (mixed with enough water) for 1-2 minutes. - Longer is probably not good, because of the staining effect of black walnut. - That's also why I will brush my teeth afterwards

- I will try a dosage of 2 droppersful 3-4 times daily

- I will pay close attention to what is happening to my teeth (possible staining, improvement, etc..) and to my entire body (any aches developing, nausea, etc, etc...). I know black walnut is traditionally use for killing parasites, which can lead to die-off-symptoms. So I don't really know how I could possibly tell, whether my possible reaction is due to die off symptoms (and beneficial, though stressing) or due to the fact that the tincture is doing sth. in my body that is not good and I should discontinue....

- It seems like black walnut hull tincture is not to be used long term. -Also because it can be tough on the liver. So I'll go for a couple of weeks first and decide from there. Probably I shouldn't use it longer than a few months.

How's my approach?
Thanks a lot for your help here!
username

Postby crystal woman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:42 am

:-k

I think you should familiarize yourself with the toxic chemical constituents of black walnut hull, and familiarize yourself with their side-effects and be cautious and monitor yourself very carefully. Understand that even though you're wanting to do this for dental health if you swallow the tincture you will also be doing a liver cleanse and detox whether or not that is your intention and whether or not you need it.
While detoxing your liver you may experience diarrhea, dizziness, lack of appetite, fatigue, nausea, headache, rashes, hives and increased body odor. Sometimes during a liver cleanse the body can push out gallstones. According to All on Health, you could have hundreds of gallstones at once. These are small pea-sized stones that float due to their cholesterol content.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/31421 ... z1wnijDepW

If you go to the link noted within the quote above you'll find several other links there at the side of the page to further noted information about black walnut hull and how the chemical constituents effect animals, plants, the soil and the environment.

Speaking for myself I'm kind of skeptical and cautious but that's because I love my liver. I might swish the tincture in my mouth through my teeth for several minutes and then spit it out and try doing that for several days to see if that makes any difference to my teeth. But swallowing the tincture for dental health is not something I would do just based on reading accolades and testimonials from strangers on internet that can't be proven to be true. I think it's risky and I would want to have a personal consultation first with a naturopath or homeopath or other health practitioner about how safe or dangerous it might be for my liver to be swallowing that much BWH tincture so many times per day for so many days.

I feel hesitant about offering any other comment just because I feel skeptical about it but if you decide to go ahead with this I wish you good luck and will certainly be interested to see what kind of symptoms and results you report back regarding your experiment.

crystal woman

Postby sapphire kate » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:33 am

I agree. 2 droppersful of BW tincture 4 x day seems like alot if you are going to swallow it. I haven't use the tincture but that sounds like a medicinal dose for treating parasites. This means that you would be pushing the systems in your body hard. Seems like overkill to me when there are other options available. I would try the diluted tincture for a while, as a mouthwash without swallowing it.

Your body remineralises teeth all the time, and can heal some cavities given the right encouragement. I'm curious about BW's action. My understanding is that good saliva is needed to remineralise teeth. As you say, it's the direct contact with the teeth that is important, so swishing saliva that is well mineralised is important, not just swallowing minerals.

The other important thing for remineralising is that the pH in the mouth is right. There is an ecology of microbes in the mouth, and the optimal balance will mean teeth don't decay. Some things upset that balance eg refined sugar and other carbohydrates.

BW is unlikely to have many minerals in it, so I am guessing that it is affecting the saliva in other ways and the pH, and possibly some effect on those via its effect on the liver. That's assuming it has an effect. I agree with CW in this too, a few stories on the internet makes me curious but it isn't the best guide for using such a strong herb.

Have you seen the Teeth and Gum health thread? It's long but there is alot in there about tooth remineralisation.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3408
sapphire kate

Postby username » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:43 pm

@crystal woman:
A big "thanks" for your help and for your warnings, which more and more seem to be very valuable to me.

I must admit that I might have been a little careless here, just being encouraged by a couple of reports on the internet. I do see the need now, to inform myself very well before going ahead with a natural treatment of any kind.

I have decided not to ingest Black Walnut Hull tincture before being informed very well about its effects and possible complications. So I will do my reading. However I'll go ahead with the swishing + spitting out.

Can I ask you, how you inform yourself about natural treatments (particularly herbal remedies)? Do you have a good book/books that you can reccomend? Do you turn to specific websites that you trust? Or do you just start reading online and ask questions on this forum? I'm just trying to find out what good ways there are to inform oneself.

Many thanks again! =D>

@sapphire kate

Good to hear that you and crystal woman agree and have opened my eyes to being more careful. - Thank you!
I will go ahead now with your suggestion and just use diluted BW as a mouthwash without swallowing.
Yes, I have seen the teeth and gum health thread and will definitely read it, once I find the time.
Can I ask you the same question as crystal woman above: How do you proceed when you want to inform yourself about herbal treatments?

Thanks again for your help! =D>
username

Postby crystal woman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:22 am

username wrote:I have decided not to ingest Black Walnut Hull tincture before being informed very well about its effects and possible complications. So I will do my reading. However I'll go ahead with the swishing + spitting out.

Can I ask you, how you inform yourself about natural treatments (particularly herbal remedies)? Do you have a good book/books that you can reccomend? Do you turn to specific websites that you trust? Or do you just start reading online and ask questions on this forum? I'm just trying to find out what good ways there are to inform oneself.

I'm relieved to hear that you're going to do more research about black walnut hull. If you're going to make your own tincture from fresh hulls then you will have plenty of time to do your further research since the black walnuts won't be ready to harvest until after summer.

In answer to your question - I do a lot of reading in books and on internet, and I learn quite a bit through personal trial and error. :lol: I'm not a herbalist and haven't had any formal training in herbalism and herbal remedies and frankly I don't use a lot of herbs as preventive or curative medicines and remedies. I think it's just as easy for people to go into overkill and over-use and abuse herbal remedies to harm themselves with as easily as it is to over-use and abuse pharmaceutical medical remedies so I tend to use any herbs and other plants with discretion and more as food supplements to my regular diet rather than as medicines. But I do realize how vitally important it is to do research about herbs and all other foods to learn what their active chemical components and nutritional properties are - what chemicals, minerals, vitamins and other essential nutrients (or toxins) are in them and how they effect the body when they're ingested. When I learn that any herb has particular chemical constituents in it that I'm not familiar with then I do research about those chemicals because I want to be extra careful about learning what may or may not be toxic. I'm a bit paranoid about poisoning myself. :doubt:

There are probably lots of other good books available but these are ones that I purchased about 15 years ago and find them quite comprehensive and reliable so I'll recommend these books to you and you can look them up on internet to get descriptions and summaries about them:

THE COMPLETE MEDICINAL HERBAL - by Penelope Ody - Key Porter Books publishers.

THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF HERBS AND THEIR USES - by Deni Brown

MAGIC AND MEDICINE OF PLANTS - by Readers Digest Association - this is not really a pro-herbalism book and doesn't tell how to prepare herbs as remedies but has good information and pictures for finding and identifying plants in North America, informs if they are toxic or medicinal so can be used in conjunction with books on herbalism, it also has good information about natural dyes and many other practical and utilitarian uses for plants.

THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO HOMEOPATHY - the principles and practice of treatment - by Dr. Andrew Lockie & Dr. Nicola Geddes - Readers Digest Association. I think that anyone who is going to get into making their own herbal remedies should also have some basic understanding of what homeopathy is all about.

BLOOMSBURY ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AROMATHERAPY - a very comprehensive book on the art and science of aromatherapy, including massage therapy of the body - by Chrissie Wildwood - Bloomsbury Publishing. Another important book because aromatherapy is powerful medicine derived from the essences of plants and may go hand in hand with herbalism.

As to websites - well I go to a LOT of websites including this Wise Woman forum because I like to check, double-check, triple-check and quadruple-check all the information I research in websites. I do like this website about plants, it's quite impressive for the quantity of plants it covers - Plants For A Future: http://www.pfaf.org/user/default.aspx - but I still look to other sites for further information as well. Wikipedia is informative and I use it a lot but it shouldn't be relied on to be 100% accurate in all things because the site gets edited by a lot of people. So again even with info I find from wikipedia I still double check with several other sources as well and will also look at sources recommended by wikipedia at the bottom of the page. I also use google as a search engine, just typing in key words for information I'm looking for and that takes me to many other internet sources with information. Some information is factual and some information is dubious so when I come across something that seems a bit dubious, or seems too good to be true, then that's where I especially get into double-checking and triple-checking information so that I can ascertain the facts.

crystal woman

Postby RoseRed » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:17 am

- Since the goal is to not only have the tincture work internally, but also externally, directly on the teeth, I will swish it around (mixed with enough water) for 1-2 minutes. - Longer is probably not good, because of the staining effect of black walnut. - That's also why I will brush my teeth afterwards

One thing you need to remember is that the mucus membranes in the mouth absorb - especially under the tongue. You will be absorbing, if not ingesting, the tincture through your mouth whether you choose to swallow it or not.

Tinctures are not known for their mineral content. If you're doing this for them minerals you would be safer to go with oatstraw or nettle infusions and actually get the minerals you're looking for.

Swishing a tincture is more like putting on a bandaid than re-mineralizing from the inside out.

Are you trying to get your teeth to mineralize and regrow or whiten them?
~RoseRed~
It's so much easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
RoseRed

Postby username » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:31 am

@crystalwoman

thank you for outlining your approach to researching herbal remedies. It is very helpful to me.

"I think it's just as easy for people to go into overkill and over-use and abuse herbal remedies to harm themselves with as easily as it is to over-use and abuse pharmaceutical medical remedies"

Yes, I understand it can be dangerous to follow the illusion that herbs are always safe, just because they come from nature.

Great to hear how serious you take your research. - Better too much than too little. I guess it's all about finding a balance between doing enough research to feel safe and know what one is doing, on the one hand, and on the other, not to get stuck with research only, but have the courage to take action at some point.

Thank you for the book recommendations. - I will look at them more closely and decide which ones I'll get. But "THE COMPLETE MEDICINAL HERBAL" looks like something I would like to have. I'm also very interested in "BLOOMSBURY ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AROMATHERAPY" since I've been looking for a good aromatherapy book. - I agree that it's a very interesting and important subject. What would be interesting to know is, whether this book also addresses internal use of essential oils. - I know there are different schools of aromatherapy and most of them address only "external uses" like massage. - Which is great. But the French school also addresses the internal use (=ingesting), which can be very effective, but also dangerous, since we're talking about very potent herbal remedies.

http://www.pfaf.org/user/default.aspx
This is indeed an impressive website. Thanks for the tip. If you have more websites, that you go to, I would be very curious to know.

crystal woman, thank you for the great advice again!
:)
username

Postby username » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:42 am

@rose red
thanks for the input!

"One thing you need to remember is that the mucus membranes in the mouth absorb - especially under the tongue. You will be absorbing, if not ingesting, the tincture through your mouth whether you choose to swallow it or not."

Thanks for making me aware of this. I do know that I'll be absorbing through the mucus membranes. Personally I would not have a problem swishing BW tincture for several weeks. - However when we're talking about many months your point becomes quite important. - Just my approach right now, without having done more in depth research.

"Swishing a tincture is more like putting on a bandaid than re-mineralizing from the inside out."

I don't know what exactly it is that BW does to the teeth, but I have read several reports that it has even restored lost tooth enamel. And that's quite impressive, I think.

But I will also try and remineralize from the inside out, as you suggest. I might go ahead with the nettle infusion and a tincture by Dr. JOhn Christopher (herbal calcium tincture)that contains horsetail grass, oat straw, comfrey root and lobelia.

My purpose for using BW would not be to whiten my teeth (which I have read BW has the capability to do), but to cure slight tooth decay
username

Next

Return to Herbal Medicine Chest