Spruce and Pine Bark Tinctures?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches...share harvesting tips, remedies, and personal experiences. Green Blessings to all!!! Drink Nourishing Herbal Infusion http://www.susunweed.com/How_to_make_Infusions.htm

Moderators: Allie, Lady Alinor, Tamara, Phoebetales, Joanne, Community Herbalist

Spruce and Pine Bark Tinctures?

Postby flhla » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:35 am

Hi, I'm new here and have been unable to find the answers to my questions, although there is so much wonderful information on the forum. Does anyone have experience with making and/or using white pine bark tincture? Just wondering about the safety of it, and if it can be used instead of Pycnogenol?

Also, we have lots of spruce here from which I have made wonderful healing salves. Do spruce and pine have similar properties for internal and external use? I have used spruce tip infusions for a cough, so I would think they are similar. But I have not yet tried tincturing it. I wonder if spruce bark or needle tincture could be used instead of Pycnogenol. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
flhla

Postby Shirley » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:16 am

I have used pine needles only. If you do a search you can search under Ladyb or Topics-Teeth & gums, cough, and white pine cause there will be some suggestions.

http://www.susunweed.com/weedforum/view ... ough+syrup
Shirley

Postby gaias » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:08 am

I would be interested in hearing from others on this, too. I just
recently tinctured up some sap- laden cones , and plan to replace
them with more, with the idea of a liniment , or wound daub- so
far the aroma is wonderful, anyway.

Other sources for anwers would include delving into older books
on native Indian plant use, and a writer named Joyce Wardell
has some recent experience using medicinal pines and trees.
gaias

Postby flhla » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:29 am

Thanks for the info. I've done several searches but it doesn't really say if they can be used interchangeably, or if the bark tincture (as opposed to the needles) is safe and useful. I just purchased some white pine bark and started a tincture with some of it. Haven't used it yet since I wasn't sure of the safety. Mainly I prefer to use things we have around here rather than buying them. I've read that the main ingredient in Pycnogenol is white pine bark, so wondering if spruce would make an acceptable substitute.

BTW, I often use my spruce salve for bug bites. It was the best thing I found for spider bites. Also my son has a terrible reaction to mosquito bites --- they stay red, itchy and swollen for days. But if I rub on the salve I made from very sticky, globby chunks of bark and sap, the itching stops almost immediately.

So, do you think tincturing pine or spruce would be too strong, or should I stick with just the needles? Thanks
flhla

Postby crystal woman » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:56 am

Try this site for further information. Just click on the latin names and it will take you directly to the available medicinal information about each one of these pines.
http://www.pfaf.org/database/search_nam ... AMES=pine+
crystal woman

Postby Bear_Medicine » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:26 pm

I have used pine bark, or pine bark/leaf/resin tinctures and vinegars very effectively and with no side effects, but I think that the resin is the strongest, then the bark then the leaves, but all seem safe so far. I havn't used spruce much... but have used several varieties of pines (white, ponderosa, piñon etc) interchangeably without noticing too much a difference. And I do believe the uses of spruce and pine are nearly the same if not completely so.

Pine salve is one of the single most heavenly smelling and effective salves I've ever used... I really like it blended with white sage, mugwort and poplar, which is a mix I've used internally for cold bugs and coughs as well. Strong, but good.

I've never tinctured cones, that's very interesting... the green cones or the brown ones? (hope that's not a ridiculous question).

Gaias, you mentioned Joyce Wardwell, I love her book The Herbal Home Remedy Book, very down to earth and backwoodsy. She uses a basic 25 herbs to teach about healing just about everything, and one of them is White Pine.

Gail Faith Edwards in her Opening Your Wild Hearts to the Healing Herbs also has a nice section on Pine and other trees.
~Kiva Rose
Anima Lifeways & Herbal School
http://animacenter.org
The Medicine Woman's Roots Herbal Blog
http://bearmedicineherbals.com
Bear_Medicine

Postby cory su » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:50 pm

Kiva,

How do you use the Pine Bark Salve? I was just thinking yesterday that pine would be nice in a chest rub salve. What do you think?

Cory
cory su

Postby flhla » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:25 am

Kiva, thank you so much for sharing your experience with the tincture. I purchased and tinctured pine bark, so now I will feel better about trying a little. I will also tincture some spruce, then compare them. We have one very large, old, dying spruce just dripping sap from all the beetle holes. Maybe I'll try making some cough syrup, too. I did that with the spruce tips once and it helped a little. Seemed weak when I tried it, so maybe some of the saturated bark will be better.

I will also look for Joyce Wardwell's book. It sounds wonderful!

Thanks again!
flhla

Postby Bear_Medicine » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:20 pm

Cory, I use it for any wounds and many skin irritations and splinters. I'd been thinking of using it for a chest rub too, but hadn't had the chance to try it yet. It seems like it might be especially good combined with monarda or sagebrush (which contains camphor. I'll definitely try it out when I have the oppurtunity.

flhla, glad I was helpful :D
A syrup is a great idea, I want to try that myself! Wardwell is great, the book is often recommended for beginners but I think there's something in there for everyone. I believe you used to be a nurse and is now homesteading in the Midwest with her husband and two children... lots of practical experience, which is something that means alot to me.

Let me know how the syrup turns out when you do it :)
~Kiva Rose
Bear_Medicine

Postby flhla » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:57 pm

Sounds like Joyce Wardwell and I have a lot in common! When I read your post, the line where you said, "I believe you used to be a nurse and . . . " I was thinking HOW does she know that?! Then I kept reading and saw that you were referring to Wardwell. :lol: Now I will definitely look for her book now! Thank you!
flhla

Postby gaias » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:15 pm

Regarding pine cones- I used the new ones, they were green
and had opaque blobs of what i thought was resin or sap? seeping
out. Very sticky, aromatic. I live on what you might call a pine farm-
various pines planted in various stages, some large stands and
some smaller, and smaller...many different kinds. The pines are
planted mainly out of care for the land, not really for farming them.

I have no experience yet obtaining pine pitch which Joyce Wardell
recommends (how to get it? is pitch the same as the white sap? :? )
but I am interested. I cut down some bunches of cypress cones,
or maybe they were a berry- they are green, and turned that
into a tincture. I have no precendent for why- for all I know its
not a good idea, but they seemed aromatic and attractive, havent
used the tincture yet, but it could be the base of some kind of
liniment, or topical treatment. Have to do some study on this.

Joyce Wardell has a lot of good information, which is all what
she herself has tried over many years- it would be good to hear
and learn from her in person!
gaias

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:33 am

Oh..Yum! White Pine bark and needle Vinegar...a real favorite around here! The tincture is yummy too.
My White Pine salve is currently a favorite in Utah, Arizona, Hawaii and of course here in Oregon. My SIL says that when she uses it on her chest she can't keep her nose out of her shirt :lol:

I love the thought of combining White Pine with Sagebrush or White Sage....

Hmmmm...How many salves does a household need...my husband stands before the herb cupboard and just stares not knowing which jar to choose...I say "close your eyes and grab one, they're all GOOD!"
*~As the rain on a mountain peak runs off the slopes on all sides, so those who see only the seeming multiplicity of life run after things on every side~* (The Upanishads)
Lady Alinor

Postby Bear_Medicine » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:35 pm

Gaias, the pitch as I understand it is the resin of the tree (as opposed to the sap which is the lifeblood of the tree) that is emitted from wounds in the tree (to help itself heal).... I gather my resin from the local Pinyon PInes, bugs seem to bore into them fairly regularly so I often find beg chunks of dried resin on the outside of the tree, which I carefully collect so as not to reopen the wound... I also collect resin whenever a tree needs to be trimmed for whatever reason or if one falls over (which they seem to do on a regular basis around here). The dried chunks of resin make the most lovely incense as well... And it can be used in the solid form if you just crush it (or heat it in oil)....

I've used Desert Cypress cones and leaves for tincture and oil, and it turned out great.... I have some great info on Cypress if you'd like me to relay it....

flhla, what a funny typo, it's nice when typos turn out for the better like that! I really think you will enjoy her book alot... I would love to take a workshop from her at some point.

Lady Alinor, my family member have the same experience, they're always bringing little cans or jars of salve and asking "but which one?".... No need to worry about shortage of medical care at THIS wilderness retreat :lol:
~Kiva Rose
Bear_Medicine

Return to Herbal Medicine Chest