What Herbs

Pass the Talking Stick and express yourself. Share thoughts, experiences, stories, songs, dreams, art. Discuss medical, political, scientific and other important issues.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
em8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What Herbs

Postby em8 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:34 pm

I am not really sure if this is the correct place or not for this question but 'what dried herbs would the best to buy in kilo bags ( that's the smallest amount they do ) if I want to have a supply of useful, nourishing herbs?' I want to get nettle but after that I am at a loss. Any help would be welcome. :)

NateFlory

Re: What Herbs

Postby NateFlory » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:06 am

Hmm, it almsot depends on what your use of herbs will be for, I would imagine.
(edit: it's early and I missed the "nourishing" word in your original post, so, my first recommendations are probably the best. :) )

If you want nourishing infusions for your own health to drink, Nettle and Oatstraw are two of my favorite (as well as Red Clover & Comfrey for many friends).

However, if you are using the herbs for trinctures (or Glycerides or syrups, etc) or salves, then that will change the type of herbs you'd purchase. Comfrey is excellent for healing wounds, I know a friend who goes through roasted dandelion root like crazy, and another who can't harvest enough Plantain for the salves she makes and gives away. Your milage may vary. :)

Here's a good overview of different herbs, but I'm sure the other Wise Women here can chime in as well.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15

I mostly stick to infusions, (and salves in small batches), so in my case "Nettle" is really the only thing I buy in bulk like that.

There's also the some good info around teh other areas of Susun's site for reference:
http://www.susunweed.com/Weed_letter_Archive.htm
http://www.herbshealing.com/Articles_Susun_Weed.htm
http://www.blubrry.com/beyond50/401379/ ... infusions/

Green Blessings!
/|\

Melissa Doordaughter

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:55 am

Hi,

My first thought too was "it depends".... it depends on your lifestyle, any particular health issues that you might have, who you are going to be sharing your herbs with...

So I'd 2nd the idea of stocking up on the nourishing herbs like oatstraw and red clover.... something I would get (personally) is mullien flowers, I use them so much during the winter months whenever my children or I come down with a cough.... another very useful herb for me is mallow, that makes a nice tea too..... though a kilo is a lot! Have you got the facilities to store them well???? Another very useful herbal remedy I always like to have on hand is slippery elm bark in case of upset stomachs...

em8

Postby em8 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:32 pm

Thankyou for the advice, I realise that its a bit of an awkward question to answer, even I don't know the answer hence the post. I have wondered about oatstraw do you use the flowering tops or the grain? This is how they are listed on the site, also would they be ok as I have a mild intolerance to oats and I am not sure if drinking the infusion would be the same as eating them.
My lifestyle is a fairly busy one, 6 children at home, farm to run while husband is harvesting, getting ready for a 9 day craft show, and that's just the beginning. As for my health that is not the best, I suffer from fibro myalgia (? on the spelling) arthritis, regular migraines, back problems and asthma. If I was an animal a vet would put me down :l .
Will have a read of the other articles and see if that helps as well, again many thanks.

Maureen

Postby Maureen » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:08 pm

I broke my hip (femoral neck) 6 months ago. After 3 pins placed 1 month ago the X-ray showed it was not healing( non union or delayed union) I've decided to try comfrey. I have comfrey salve. I did a comfrey poultice and have some comfrey dried herbs I made an infusion. How often would you drink the tea infusion? I am also taking horsetail tincture. As well as calcium vit d vit k etc. I've been using a bone stimulator ultrasound for 4 months now too! Any good ideas? I am 62 very active and did this surfing big waves. I have no pain, just feel it's not perfect. I can walk and swim and exercise/stretch!

Return to “The Talking Stick”