climate change

Pass the Talking Stick and express yourself. Share thoughts, experiences, stories, songs, dreams, art. Discuss medical, political, scientific and other important issues.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
snow moon
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

climate change

Postby snow moon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:40 am

I cycle in and out of periods of emotional paralysis as I read about the exploitation of our mother.

Over a period of years I had somewhat reconciled myself to the thought of human extinction, but more recently I read that we may make the planet inhospitable to all plant life. I am now mourning things that feel larger than my spirit can grasp.

I don't have any incisive remarks on this topic: I just want to know how you, my sisters, are surviving as witnesses to the unfathomable injustices around us?

NateFlory

Re: climate change

Postby NateFlory » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:43 am

I too went through a solid year of strange cognitave dissonance regarding my work in IT computer support at a large company, balanced with a homestead farm and natural herbal healing and current plans to build a sustainable passive solar strawbale house, etc etc...
Then I found a bit of solace in some writings of John Michael Greer (a peak oil writer and leader of the AODA druid grove, who blogs a lot about how "society" might prepare or adapt after all this cheap energy is finally used up.
Also, the poem/story about the little girl throwing Starfish into teh sea after a storm. You've probably heard it, where an old man ask why she's trying because she will never save All of them, but to this one it made a difference. That brought me quite a bit of solace. We can not change others, but we can change ourselves, and do our little parts to help. And that makes all the difference to us.

Blessings. I know it's a deep primal sadness/rage/fury/weeping you are most likely feeling. We are here, you are not alone.
Like wise woman healing though, we are subtle in our healing.

Look at the resurgence of "Old Fashioned" crafts lately. Folks like woodworking and homebrewing, and spinning yarn, and other such "Crafts of Olde". It's getting popular again. When the oil runs out, we'll survive. It will suck for a while, but Earth (and us humans on it) will survive in a different form or fashion.

StephLadd

Postby StephLadd » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:40 pm

Snow Moon,

I too am suffering with this knowledge. I "awoke" to this problem in 2012 and have never been the same since. I get emotional paralysis as well. I will stop eating for days and can't sleep sometimes.

I too have reconciled with the thought of human extinction. I do not want that to happen of course, because deep down I do feel that human beings are compassionate, loving beings. We have just, for some reason, been led astray. I also fear we will make this an inhospitable planet for other life forms. But I also remember that the planet used to be a ball of molten lava. And life arose from it. The earth can and will regenerate from our damage, it has gone through much worse "extinctions", or so I've been told.

Some thoughts that give me solace:

-We are nature. We arose from the same "primordial ooze" that other species did. For some reason, we evolved to have this incredible brain. I look at it as an experiment. What will happen with this "consciousness", we do not know. Are these the growing pains of our species?
-It's not impossible, in my opinion, the live in balance with nature. It will be a very tough road. But it's not impossible.
-Check out Joanna Macy's website. She speaks of a "Great Turning". It has gotten me through some pretty tough days.
-Your pain comes from a deep, deep, deep love for this earth. If you're in pain, it means you care.

If you need a person to talk to, I do too. :)

snow moon

Postby snow moon » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:00 am

Thanks for giving me so many beautiful words to mull over, NateFlory.

It is really something to imagine you moving between the office and homestead ... And I hope your sustainable strawbale house comes to fruition.

And I posted an endless comment on your other thread, StephLadd! Thank you too. I will only add: Please eat!

Return to “The Talking Stick”