FOOD AS MEDICINE and/or DINNER

Pass the Talking Stick and express yourself. Share thoughts, experiences, stories, songs, dreams, art. Discuss medical, political, scientific and other important issues.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

FOOD AS MEDICINE and/or DINNER

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:47 am

CHICKEN ADOBO
( I think the original recipe came from America's Test Kitchen or Cooks Country)
Serves 4

4 chicken thighs
Soy sauce
1 can Coconut Milk or Coconut Cream
4 Bay leaves
8 Garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 tsp. Black Pepper

Marinate the thighs in a little Soy Sauce for 15 mins. With COLD pan, add chicken skin side down, turn on medium heat and cook until brown and fat has rendered out, drain fat. Add Coconut milk or cream, bay leaves, garlic and black pepper. Simmer 45 mins. or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and reduce sauce. Serve over rice, quinoa or millet.

ItalianBee

Re: FOOD AS MEDICINE and/or DINNER

Postby ItalianBee » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Sounds yummy! Unfortunately my husband can't eat soy sauce...

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:29 pm

ROASTED BEET AND DANDELION SALAD
2 Large or 4 med beets. Roast in the skin at 325 for an hour or more until a knife goes in easily.
Cool.
If the skins are not too tough I like to keep them on. Other wise peel them. cut into 1/2" cubes. finely chop 1 or 2 cloves of garlic (or more).
slice thin and small, 1 med onion.
2 cups (at least) of chopped fresh dandelion greens.
Dress with 3 TBS olive oil and a dash of vinegar (I like to use the herb infused vinegars that I'm making and am particularly enamored with Shisho lately).Salt to taste. Marinate in the fridge for several hours, stirring occaisionally.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:23 am

ItalianBee....one could replace the soysauce with coconut amino acids or even just a liitle salt. I think the recipe does need the 'salty' flavor, maybe float a small piece of seaweed.

WhiteHorse...yum! And yum again using infused vinegar!
Yesterday at my clients house I oven roasted 3 organic beets for a lovely salad today, they weren't quite done so I turned the oven off and let the residual heat finish them. I forgot them!
I was home 2 hours when I remembered, I sent a txt to my relief caregiver who somehow misunderstood my txt and did nothing about the beets that are still sitting in the clients oven hahaha I have some explaining to do. Oh Bother!)
Shisho, my son gave me a handful a couple years ago, maybe I made a vinegar....hoping I made vinegar...I think I did...better go look...

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:31 pm

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:58 am

I always forget how good this soup really is......
I don't have a title, I found the original in a textbook, and made it mine for my slowcooker/solar oven (the textbook said the recipe is 'Blood Strengthening/Nourishing')

Beef or Lamb
Onions, potatoes, carrots and/or other root vegetables
Rice or Buckwheat or Barley or Wheat...Quinoa, etc.
Ginger
Garlic
Astragalus (15 grams)
Dang Gui (4 grams)
Codonopsis (2 grams)
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Water or stock of choice

Turn slowcooker on high to preheat. In separate pan brown seasoned meat, add onions, ginger and garlic, cook two minutes. Add to preheated slowcooker. Deglaze pan with water or stock. Add to cooker. Add grain of choice and astragalus, dang gui, codonopsis. Add enough water or stock to cover. Place lid on pot and cook on high for 1 hour, then turn to low and cook 4 to 6 hours.
We've enjoyed this with a bit of 'Mexican' flair with Cilantro and cumin, we've enjoyed 'Asain' touches with fish sauce, cilantro, star anise and lime, Indian is nice too with curry powder and garam masala (must 'bloom' the spices first).

Allie
Site Admin

Postby Allie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Sounds great!
.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
~* Allie *~
Wise Woman Team

Return to “The Talking Stick”