adaptogens

Green Witch, Green Allies, Spirit & Practice of the Wise Woman Tradition, and ABC of Herbalism ...Sister students, there is so much for us to learn together. Have any questions? Puzzled by something and need some help? Here is the place to share...

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

WhiteHorse

adaptogens

Postby WhiteHorse » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:42 pm

I have just enrolled in the adaptogen course. I am very excited about it. Berries, mushrooms, things that I love! I hope to be able to grow either in my garden or green house some of the ones that I am not yet familiar with. To me this is one of the magical blessings of the plant beings, that they will give us what ever our bodies need. Wow!

Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: adaptogens

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:56 pm

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:13 am

Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:45 am

We harvested Turkey Tail last fall, I haven't used it yet. We grew some lovely Oyster mushrooms last year which we dehydrated (at 95 degrees, which is supposed to leave the dried material 'live'), we use them daily and a nice hunk of Reishi goes into every soup pot along with Astragalus, I LOVE Astragalus!
Here's Susun talking about Reishi!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE8mvkvkfmo

Folks can go ahead and add this video to their que as well, this is David Hoffman explaining Adaptogens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncDLoYq_x

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:28 pm

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:26 am

We get a few small chantrells, cute little things.
We hike in the Cascades alot and I gotta admit we are lucky to walk a mile an hour because of wanting to meet all of the plants and mushrooms.
We've had a lot of wildfires the last few years so the morels are supposed to be plentiful.
Last year we plugged some logs with Shiitake, no signs of life yet, we had a super wet Winter and Spring last year, I'm hoping that is why we are still waiting.
I do enjoy watching mushroom foraging on YouTube, hoping some of the confidence will rub onto me lol.....well actually YouTube is the only 'television' we watch. So many teachers, some of them very good, my brain screams for more information hahaha

How do you like to use your adaptogens, mushrooms and herb?

I make a savory breakfast oatmeal...steecut oats... chocked full of yummy, Ashwagandha (butter), astragalus, mushroom, kale, goji berry. A quinoa breakfast with mushrooms, turmeric, garlic, Ashwagandha, butter, black pepper, astragalus, kale.

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:28 pm

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 am

It's so strange to read about "too many chanterelles"! I grew up with parents who gathered mushrooms (for food as opposed to medicinal value), and chanterelles were everybody's favourite, but there were never enough of them and the season was short. They were the only ones I ever got confident enough to gather on my own.

Also, I see that I am going to have to try Ashwaganda, since I've been hearing so much about it for the last few years. I've always loved Astragalus. And I too have always used hawthorn and elderberry.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:32 am

For school I did a monograph on Ashwagandha, amazing plant it gives one the vitality and stamina of a Horse!
Remember one must use a fat with it, butter, full fat milk even coconut oil. I use about 1/8th of a tsp. in the oats for two.
Also if one is sensitive to nightshades best keep in mind that ashwagandha is a nightshade as is Goji...believe it or not haha I'm still struggling with that revelation hahaha! Goji berry aka Wolf berry is a member of the solanaceae family.
I'm surprised by all the cautions associated with Goji Berry
http://www.wildbynature.com/ns/DisplayM ... -wolfberry

Of course the cautions are there to make us aware to 'possible' interactions, sensitivities and draw-backs like if one is undergoing radiation Goji can intensify the radiation. Hmmmm that gets me to thinking about the possible intensification of excess solar rays during heightened solar activity and depleted ozone layers and the threatened pole shift.
We should all be wearing wide brimmed hats when outdoors anyway.

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:37 pm

For some reason My computer won't let me connect to that link. I'll try again another time. I am aware of both Ashwaganda and Gogi being night shades. I used to eat a lot of potatoes and tomatoes but hardly do at all anymore. I believe I did develop some sensitivity, but I want to try these and see how they suit me. I didn't Know about Ashwaganda needing fat, but it makes sense considering that most of the Indian herbs ans spices are "released" into ghee. I felt attracted to it because of the connection to vitality and stamina of the horse! Horses are a very important part of my life.
There is so much to learn about each plant! I really like Susun's suggestion to choose 8 and use each for 6 weeks.
I still go out in the sun. I'm not ready to hide from it and am prepared to take my chances!
Tell me more about doing a monograph.

Return to “Wise Woman Classroom”