herbs for panic attacks

Green Witch, Green Allies, Spirit & Practice of the Wise Woman Tradition, and ABC of Herbalism ...Sister students, there is so much for us to learn together. Have any questions? Puzzled by something and need some help? Here is the place to share...

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ms charlie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

herbs for panic attacks

Postby ms charlie » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:07 am

i know this is a forum for women, but i'm hoping i can get information that might help my son who's just retired from the military after serving 20 years and 4 tours to the middle east. he has started having panic attacks and has been diagnosed with ptsd. i'm not sure there's much that can be with herbs and ptsd, but was hoping there might be an herb or a combination of herbs that might help him with his panic attacks. having had 2 panic attacks in my lifetime, i'm aware they can be quite debilitating. he has 4 beautiful daughters that need their father to be there for them. i am grateful for any information that might come forth and possible from a woman who understands what our service men and women have gone thru on their tours of duty.

blessing's

ms charlie

NateFlory

Re: herbs for panic attacks

Postby NateFlory » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:14 am

There's a few men scattered on here. ;)
As for actual Panic Attacks, I don't have any immediate suggestions beyond Motherwort tincture being an excellent "acute AHHH!" medicine. I make it each summer and it's perfect for those times of OMG STRESS, by just taking the edge off. Not in a sedating effect, but definitely the same sort of thing as "breathe, count to ten".
Here's something Susun wrote about Instant calm also, for reference:
http://www.susunweed.com/An_Article_Instant-Calm.htm

I've had a few panic-attacks after a recent divorce and I can definitely agree that "breathe, relax" just isn't always helpful/possible in the midst of the panic, but a dropper of Motherwort tincture was jsut enough to push through that "wall" and get to a place I could listen to the rest of the advice and breathe again.

Overall, Oatstraw/Nettle infusion keeps poppign into my mind as well, for a more general "calm&nourish the body" effect over time, less as a "in-the-moment medicine", too.
Blessings!

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:45 am

Kiva Rose has some great info gathered here

Calming and Uplifting herbs http://bearmedicineherbals.com/a-few-of ... herbs.html

Nervine Differentials http://bearmedicineherbals.com/relax-al ... tials.html

I happen to really like skullcap tincture. It's awesome for when it feels like you can't breathe. RosemaryGoddess was a member here. Does anyone remember the name of her website? She has some truly wonderful products.

ms charlie

Postby ms charlie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:37 am

thanks all for your info and no offense nate : ) love knowing that men are also involved !!

bluebirdmama

Postby bluebirdmama » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:13 am

Bach rescue remedy work for minor attacks and is helpful to take ahead of an attack. But in a total panic attack motherwort is my go to for sure.

Jaxxs Herblover

Postby Jaxxs Herblover » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:36 am

Hi. At one time I was on nerve pills that the doc had put me on. I found that they were perpetuating the panic I was experiencing. I started using three oils in a diffuser of lavender, geranium and clary sage. I got off the pills quickly! After I didn't need the pills any more, the oils seemed too strong as if I didn't need them anymore either. Since then I've started using the whole plant more often. I have found that drinking linden flower Infusions helps me to feel comforted and calm. I mix it with a tad of honey - what a wonderful friend! We all have affinities with certain plants and Lindon is definitely on my list of comforting allies. It should be used regularly as I consume a couple quarts of It a week. Coffee always increases my mental reaction time, so if there is something threatening mentally, I back off and ply myself with soothing infusions and magnesium sulfate baths with soothing herbs such as lavender flowers and lemon balm leaf. Hydro therapy is good deep down! I put my head and body under with just my face out and breath. Focusing on the breath and going inside my body to send love to my being. Also walking in nature with my shoes off. Being near plants and streams and vigorously moving my body. Connection with the sunlight and moonlight as much as possible. Using and eating lots of green plants that have soaked in the sun's energy is important for me also. One last thing. Lemons cayenne tumeric and ginger with water blended always calm me down. After this I consume wheatgrass powder. Not sure why about this combination though. I was using it for arthritis prevention and found that I liked the way it made my brain feel, just more in control. Hope some of this will be useful.

Herbnut

Postby Herbnut » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:10 pm

If your in a Cannabis state, he might what to look into that. There has been a lot of people being helped by cannabis with PTSD, and other mental or stress disorders.
WiseGuy

Return to “Wise Woman Classroom”