Chronic High blood pressure first trimester of pregnancy

Discuss all aspects of the fertile years, birth control, moontime, fertility, pregnancy, childbirth, homebirth, midwifery, breastfeeding, mothering and more.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ladytulip
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Chronic High blood pressure first trimester of pregnancy

Postby Ladytulip » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:12 pm

Help. I have chronic high blood pressure even before I was pregnant. My doctor made me take Labetalol ( a betablocker) I took it for a short while and gradually stopped . I did not want to get pregnant with drugs in my system. I have read the book wisewoman for childbearing year and I was drinking nettle , and red raspberry leaf. I also took Hawthorne berry and skullcap and passion flower as recommended in the book for high blood pressure. My BP is still high but not as much as before. I conceived without difficulty. I went to a naturopathic doctor when I was 6 weeks pregnant. She told me to take motherwort tea or tincture 3 times a day. She also told me to continue taking the nettle and red raspberry leaf tea three times a day and eat celery and dandelion leaves. She made me take Magnesium Taurate 400 mg. and vitamin D ( food based) 2000IU. The mother'swort tea was very effective in lowering my by blood pressure. However, when I searched online, I was anxious because they said not to take mother's wort during the first trimester. However, it's the only herb I know that is effective for me. So, I took it only when my high blood pressure is very high. The past few weeks has been very stressful for me as there was a death in the family. My BP was so unusually high when I went to see my obgyn for the first time since I fund out Im pregnant. she was upset at me for not taking the Labetalol. Now, I am more stressed and unhappy than ever. I dont want to take labetalol. I am confused. Can I keep on taking mother'swort tea 3x / day to reduce my BP instead of taking LAbetalol? What is your advise?

em8

Re: Chronic High blood pressure first trimester of pregnancy

Postby em8 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:14 am

LadyTulip although I cannot help with your herbal queries, those I will leave to more experienced and wiser than me, I would like to offer you a virtual hug. It sounds like a truly stressful time for you but if you can try and step back and think of the child you are carrying. I am cross with the dr for adding to your woes, they should know better, instead of being upset with you she should be helping you advising you on other ways to lower you BP. For me when I get stressed I try to write the stuff down, this helps, but then I burn the paper as it burns I try to visualise my stresses going away with the smoke (taking precautions that I don't set fire to anything else of course !) Don't focus on the blood pressure that will only make it worse instead focus on the new life you are carrying on the wonderful positive things that will be.
I hope this helps you at least begin to relax and that others can help with the herbs x

Return to “The Childbearing Year(s)”